Monday, May 28, 2012

My introduction to urban exploration.

So I haven't posted since last week due to pressing demands of the search for a photo story.
I had various potential subjects that all fell through for various reasons, until finally I met this English photographer named Nathan Wright. I visited his studio, conducted a short interview, and took a few pictures. When I told him it would be best for me to take pictures of him taking pictures, he said he was going "urbex-ing" on Sunday, and that I might be able to come along... "if I had proper sneakers."
I was unfamiliar with "urbex" but intrigued by the footwear requirement.
Long story short, my adventure spirit remains irrepressible, and so on Sunday morning at 6:30am I found myself heading south out of Berlin on the Autobahn with two English photographers. I felt like I was in an episode of Top Gear. Their banter was ridiculously delightful, and the early morning light on German countryside I'd never seen before was cool, too.




We spent all day exploring abandoned buildings in a few different locations mostly around Zossen, Germany, and ended our adventure at a biergarten back in Berlin, tired and smelly, discussing the high points of the day and about a million other things over schnitzel and sauerkraut. And beer. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment